Thursday, August 24, 2017

16 dead, more than 500 injured as Typhoon Hato batters South China

Typhoon Hato batters South China
At least 16 people have been killed and 500 more injured after the strongest typhoon of the year, Typhoon Hato, made landfall in southern China on Wednesday.

Many southern provinces are still suffering the effects of the powerful typhoon, which made landfall in Zhuhai, Guangdong Province, at around 12:50 pm Wednesday, traveling at a speed of 45 meters per second.

Neighboring Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region is now experiencing heavy rains, with many residents saying online that their homes had been flooded and trees had been uprooted by strong winds, forcing them to stay indoors for safety.

"I saw people being blown over on the street and two cars collide into each other, causing a large fire," one resident of Yulin, Guangxi, told the Global Times.

Typhoon Hato, China's 13th storm of 2017, was the most powerful storm to hit the country this year, China's National Meteorological Center (NMC) said. The NMC issued a red alert for the typhoon on Wednesday.
 [Global Times]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only News

EL News

Blog Widget by LinkWithin