Showing posts with label OPCW. Show all posts
Showing posts with label OPCW. Show all posts

Friday, September 05, 2014

Ninety-six percent of Syria’s declared chemical weapons destroyed (UN-OPCW mission chief)

 UN, 4 September 2014 – The Special Coordinator for the Joint Mission of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons and the United Nations (OPCW-UN) told the Security Council today that 96 percent of Syria’s declared stockpile, including the most dangerous chemicals, had been destroyed and preparation were underway to destroy the remaining 12 production facilities.

“This is a chemical weapons disarmament process, it’s been unique,” said Sigrid Kaag after her final briefing to the Security Council in her capacity as the head of the joint mission dealing with Syria’s chemical weapons, which is winding up its work at the end of September.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Syria's worst chemical arms neutralized: Pentagon

WASHINGTON: A specially equipped US ship has finished neutralizing all 600 metric tonnes of the most dangerous of Syria's chemical weapons components surrendered to the international community this year to avert threatened air strikes, the Pentagon said on Monday.

It said the Cape Ray, equipped with the US-developed Field Deployable Hydrolysis System, neutralized 581.5 metric tonnes of DF, a sarin precursor chemical, and 19.8 metric tonnes of HD, an ingredient of sulfur mustard, while afloat in the Mediterranean.

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Progress made on destruction of chemical weapons outside Syria (UNSC president)

There has been "good progress" on the destruction of Syria's chemical weapon materials outside the country, UK's Permanent Representative to the UN Mark Lyall Grant, who holds the rotating presidency of the Security Council for August, told reporters here on Tuesday.

Lyall Grant made the remarks after a briefing to the 15-member Council behind closed doors via video teleconference by Sigrid Kaag, special coordinator for the United Nations - Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) Joint Mission.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

All toxic chemicals removed from Syria now at destruction sites (OPCW)

All the toxic chemicals removed from Syria under a deal with the Syrian government to destroy its chemical weapons stockpile have been delivered to destruction facilities outside the country, the global chemical weapons watchdog said on Thursday.
  
The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) said in a statement that the 1,300 tonnes of chemicals removed from Syria were now being destroyed at various locations. The watchdog said 32 percent of the total had been destroyed by July 21.

Monday, July 07, 2014

US ship begins neutralizing Syrian chemical weapons

MV Cape Ray
US container ship Cape Ray began neutralizing chemical materials on Monday that were once part of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's weapons arsenal, the Pentagon said.
The ship, in international waters in the Mediterranean Sea, began processing about 600 metric tonnes of chemical weapons and raw materials that could be used in them, Pentagon spokesman Colonel Steve Warren told reporters.

Monday, June 23, 2014

Ευάγγελος Βενιζέλος: Απόλυτη προστασία του μεσογειακού θαλάσσιου περιβάλλοντος, σε σχέση με την επιχείρηση καταστροφής του οπλοστασίου χημικών όπλων της Συρίας.

MV Cape Ray
Παρέμβαση Αντιπροέδρου της Κυβέρνησης και ΥΠΕΞ Ευ. Βενιζέλου στο Συμβούλιο Εξωτερικών Υποθέσεων της Ευρωπαϊκής Ένωσης σχετικά με το θέμα της καταστροφής του χημικού οπλοστασίου της Συρίας (Λουξεμβούργο, 23.06.2014).

ΥΠΕΞ, Δευτέρα, 23 Ιούνιος 2014
Ο Αντιπρόεδρος της Κυβέρνησης και Υπουργός Εξωτερικών, Ευάγγελος Βενιζέλος, έθεσε, για πολλοστή φορά και με ιδιαίτερη έμφαση, στη σημερινή σύνοδο του Συμβουλίου Εξωτερικών Υποθέσεων της Ευρωπαϊκής Ένωσης, στο Λουξεμβούργο, την ανάγκη αλλά και την υποχρέωση απόλυτης προστασίας του μεσογειακού θαλάσσιου περιβάλλοντος, σε σχέση με την επιχείρηση καταστροφής του οπλοστασίου χημικών όπλων της Συρίας.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Απάντηση ΥΦΥΠΕΞ Κ. Γεροντόπουλου σε επίκαιρη ερώτηση του βουλευτή κ. Νότη Μαριά (ΑΝ.ΕΛ) για την καταστροφή των χημικών της Συρίας. -Ελληνικό ΥΠΕΞ

MV Cape Ray
ΥΠΕΞ, Παρασκευή, 21 Μάρτιος 2014
Ο Υφυπουργός Εξωτερικών Κυριάκος Γεροντόπουλος, απάντησε σήμερα, Παρασκευή 21 Μαρτίου, στη Βουλή, σε επίκαιρη ερώτηση του βουλευτή του κόμματος των Ανεξάρτητων Ελλήνων, κ. Νότη Μαριά, για την καταστροφή των χημικών της Συρίας.

«Το περιβάλλον είναι η ίδια μας η ζωή. Θέλω να ξεκαθαρίσω ότι όλοι έχουμε οικολογικές ευαισθησίες και μας ενδιαφέρει το περιβάλλον στο οποίο ζούμε. Η προστασία του δεν αποτελεί μονοπώλιο κανενός κόμματος ή κάποιων συγκεκριμένων μόνο πολιτικών. Μας απασχολεί και μας κρατάει σε εγρήγορση όλους.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

ΥΠΕΞ: Ανακοίνωση Υπουργείου Εξωτερικών για την καταστροφή των χημικών όπλων της Συρίας

MV Cape Ray
ΥΠΕΞ, Πέμπτη, 13 Μάρτιος 2014
Σε συνέχεια των ενημερώσεων που έχουν γίνει στο πλαίσιο του Οργανισμού για την απαγόρευση των Χημικών Όπλων (OPCW), πραγματοποιήθηκε, χθες, στο Υπουργείο Εξωτερικών, μακρά τεχνική τηλεδιάσκεψη, όπως είχε προαναγγείλει, στις 25 Φεβρουαρίου, ο Αντιπρόεδρος της Κυβέρνησης και Υπουργός Εξωτερικών, Ευάγγελος Βενιζέλος, κατά την κοινή συνεδρίαση της Διαρκούς Επιτροπής Εθνικής Άμυνας και Εξωτερικών Υποθέσεων και της Ειδικής Μόνιμης Επιτροπής Περιβάλλοντος της Βουλής των Ελλήνων.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Third shipment of chemical weapons leaves Syria...

The third shipment of Syrian chemical weapons has taken place, the Reuters news agency reports on Monday citing an OPCW statement.

The Dutch and Norwegian vessels Ark Futura and Taiko have been taking away the Syrian chemical arsenal from the port of Latakia since January 7. Two consignments were already completed.

According to an initial plan, the toxic cargo had to be removed from Syria before December 31, 2013, but due to the unstable situation in the country, it didn’t happen.

Thursday, February 06, 2014

Απάντηση ΥΦΥΠΕΞ Δ. Κούρκουλα σε Επίκαιρη Ερώτηση για Καταστροφή Χημικού Οπλοστασίου Συρίας. -Ελληνικό ΥΠΕΞ

ΥΠΕΞ, Πέμπτη, 06 Φεβρουάριος 2014
Σε απάντηση της υπ’ αριθμ. 506/03-02-2014 επίκαιρης ερώτησης του Βουλευτή Χανίων της Νέας Δημοκρατίας κ. Μανούσου Βολουδάκη προς τους Υπουργούς Εξωτερικών και Περιβάλλοντος, Ενέργειας και Κλιματικής Αλλαγής, σχετικά με τους ενδεχόμενους περιβαλλοντικούς κινδύνους στη Μεσόγειο από την καταστροφή των χημικών όπλων της Συρίας, ο Υφυπουργός Εξωτερικών κ. Δημήτριος Κούρκουλας δήλωσε τα εξής:

Wednesday, February 05, 2014

ΥΠΕΞ: Συνέχιση διπλωματικών πρωτοβουλιών Αντιπροέδρου της Κυβέρνησης και ΥΠΕΞ Ευ. Βενιζέλου για την προστασία της Μεσογείου από τη διαδικασία καταστροφής του χημικού οπλοστασίου της Συρίας.

ΥΠΕΞ, Τετάρτη, 05 Φεβρουάριος 2014
Συνεχίστηκαν στο Στρασβούργο, όπου βρίσκεται ο Αντιπρόεδρος της Κυβέρνησης και Υπουργός Εξωτερικών Ευάγγελος Βενιζέλος, οι έντονες διπλωματικές προσπάθειες της Ελλάδος, προκειμένου να διασφαλιστεί ότι δεν θα υπάρξει καμία απειλή για το θαλάσσιο περιβάλλον της Ανατολικής Μεσογείου λόγω της επιχείρησης καταστροφής του χημικού οπλοστασίου της Συρίας.

Ο Γενικός Διευθυντής του Οργανισμού για την Απαγόρευση των Χημικών Όπλων κ. Ahmet Üzümcü απάντησε στη σχετική επιστολή του κ. Βενιζέλου, επαναλαμβάνοντας τις διαβεβαιώσεις του.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Chemical waste worries Cretans. -Syrian chemical weapons arsenal to be destroyed in Mediterranean waters

The World Council of Cretans last week expressed its opposition and outrage to the proposed and 'secretly planned' destruction of chemical weapons from Syria in the Mediterranean sea areas west of Crete.
The response comes as the internationally praised August deal between the USA and Russia, to destroy the Syrian chemical arsenal, failed. The chemicals were meant to be transferred outside Syria by the end of December 2013 and destroyed by June 2014.
With the December deadline already missed, discussions now suggest the possibility of chemical waste being dumped in the Mediterranean, in an area between Crete, Malta and Libya. This scenario is becoming likelier since Italy has promised to offer a port for the two Danish and Norwegian ships which will transport the lethal chemical weapons.

Massive protests in Italy due to arrival of toxic cargo from Syria

MV Cape Ray
Widespread protests have started in the south of Italy due to the upcoming shipment of a toxic cargo expected to arrive by sea from Syria in 10 days.

Local residents got angry with the situation as, according to them, secrecy surrounds the whole operation and no guarantees were given by the government.

"They are telling us that the material carried is not dangerous, but in fact nobody knows what is inside those containers," said one of the protesters.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

ΥΠΕΞ: Ανακοίνωση Υπουργείου Εξωτερικών για το ζήτημα της καταστροφής των χημικών όπλων του συριακού οπλοστασίου

ΥΠΕΞ, Τετάρτη, 22 Ιανουάριος 2014
Ο Αντιπρόεδρος της Κυβέρνησης και Υπουργός Εξωτερικών, Ευάγγελος Βενιζέλος, επικοινώνησε σήμερα, Τετάρτη 22 Ιανουαρίου 2014, με τον Γενικό Διευθυντή της Greenpeace Ελλάδας, Νίκο Χαραλαμπίδη, ο οποίος του επιβεβαίωσε ότι οι τρεις περιβαλλοντικές οργανώσεις, Greenpeace, Oceanica και WWF, ενημερώθηκαν απο τον Γενικό Διευθυντή του Οργανισμού για την Απαγόρευση των Χημικών Όπλων (OPCW) στη Χάγη, ο οποίος τους διαβεβαίωσε ότι τίποτα δεν θα απορριφθεί στη Μεσόγειο κατά τη διαδικασία της εξουδετέρωσης των χημικών όπλων της Συρίας. Επιπλέον, τις ενημέρωσε ότι επελέγη η διαδικασία της υδρόλυσης εν πλω γιατι δεν υπάρχει τεχνική δυνατότητα να πραγματοποιηθεί στην ξηρά.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Italian mayors want guarantees on Syrian chemical transfer

ROME - Mayors of Italian towns near the port designated as a transit site for Syria's chemical arsenal said on Friday they would protest at the decision unless they were guaranteed maximum security against any environmental or health risk.
"We want to make sure safety measures are at the maximum level and we want the government to better inform us so we can reassure our residents. If we are not better informed, then there will be protests," said Rosarno Mayor Elisabetta Tripodi.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

First chemical materials removed from Syria by ship

DAMASCUS: A first shipment of material has been removed from Syria under a deal to rid the country of its chemical weapons arsenal, the joint mission overseeing the disarmament said Tuesday.

"A first quantity of priority chemical materials was moved from two sites to the port of Latakia for verification and was then loaded onto a Danish commercial vessel today," the mission said in a statement.

It added that the boat had sailed for international waters.

Saturday, January 04, 2014

Danish, Norwegian ships leave Limassol port for Syrian seacoast

BEIRUT, January 03, /ITAR-TASS/. Two Danish and two Norwegian ships have left the Port of Limassol and made the way towards international waters near the Syrian seacoast.

Two dry-cargo ships and two coastguard vessels will be in international waters to enter the Syrian port of Latakia at any moment in order to load containers with chemical weapons, Norwegian Defence Ministry spokesman Lars Magne Hovtun said on Friday.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Vessels for Syrian Chemical Arms Removal Dock in Cyprus

MOSCOW, December 16 (RIA Novosti) – Danish and Swedish ships that will be used to ferry away Syria’s chemical weapons arsenal have docked in Cyprus on their way to the civil war-wracked Mideast nation.
Cypriot ambassador to Russia, George Kasoulides, said Monday that the weapons will be transferred from those ships onto a US vessel and destroyed at sea.
The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons in November finalized a roadmap for destroying Syria’s arsenal more than 1,000 metric tons of weapons-grade chemicals. According to the roadmap, the most dangerous weapons have to be removed from Syria by the end of December and destroyed at sea by April. The rest is slated for destruction by mid-2014.

Saturday, November 30, 2013

United States offers to destroy Syria’s Priority Chemicals./Σε πλοίο των ΗΠΑ θα καταστραφουν κάποια χημικά

OPCW receives expressions of interest from 35 private companies to destroy other Syrian chemicals

In a statement to the OPCW Executive Council on Friday 29 November 2013, Director-General Ahmet Üzümcü announced that the United States has offered to contribute a destruction technology, full operational support and financing to neutralise Syria’s priority chemicals, which are to be removed from the country by 31 December.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

OPCW Executive Council adopts plan for the destruction of Syria’s chemical weapons programme in the first half of 2014

• Most critical chemicals to leave Syria by end of 2013 
• Over 60 percent of unfilled warheads and bombs destroyed
--

The OPCW Executive Council (EC) approved today a detailed plan of destruction to eliminate Syria’s chemical weapons stockpile. In the plan, Syrian chemical weapons will be transported for destruction outside its territory to ensure their destruction in the “safest and soonest manner”, and no later than June 30th 2014. 
“I welcome the decision reached today by the Executive Council,” said OPCW Director General Ahmet Ümzücü.

EL News